Moving to college is an exciting and expensive- rite of passage.
Starting with tuition, then travel expenses, impressing potential new friends, and learning to budget, this milestone can almost break the bank.
But it doesn’t have to!
Check out these cool dorm decorating tips, tricks, and sales from CardCash, and save while you shop.
You’ll come out with a space to write home about, too.
The first way to save money and still get cool stuff is to plan your shopping around sale seasons. Creating a dorm room oasis is a fun project, and there’s no reason you can’t start planning ahead of time. Shop around for decor you really like, and then pounce when it goes on sale. Amazon wish lists are a fantastic way to save the stuff you want and get alerted when the price drops. Plus, anyone who wants to get you a going-away gift will know where to look.
Take advantage of student discounts.
- Amazon Prime Student. After 6 free months, a prime account costs $69 per year for students.
- Save from stores you are already shopping in! The Target Student Discount offers 15% off for students. All you have to do is sign up and prove your student status
- Bed Bath and Beyond is another great place for furnishings, and they also offer a student discount of 20% if you sign up for the College Savings Pass.
This is a fun one! There are endless ideas out there to create your own cool-but-cheap college decor. Projects range from expert seamstress handyman to buying cool tape and sticking it on your shelves. Here are just a few fun ideas that will up the ante without draining the bank.
- Create a custom headboard as a statement piece. After all, in a dorm room, your bed is your throne. And safe place, and hangout spot, and…
- Keep your space neat and stink-free with a personalized laundry hamper. Your roommates will thank you.
- Make an area rug out of old T-shirts. It’s recycling at its best, plus, you end up with a one-of-a-kind statement piece for your room.
Remember that even though you’re on a budget, that doesn’t mean you can’t have nice things and save money at the same time. Head over to CardCash before you head out shopping. There are thousands of gift card deals, at thousands of retailers. So go for it- buy that Kate Spade lampshade you’ve been drooling over just get it for cheaper by going through CardCash.